2020 is a Good Year for Flu Shots!
Healthcare providers are encouraging flu shots this year, and getting them earlier than ever. It is a small thing that can help both you and your family stay healthy. The Center for Disease Control estimates that over 245,000 people will go to the emergency room this year as a result of the flu. In 2018-2019, 34,000 people were hospitalized due to the flu.
One way to help protect you and your family is to get the flu shot. Remember, the flu shot is free to you as a member of one of the CoolSys’ medical plans. If you have an Anthem plan click here for more information on obtaining a flu shot. If you are a Kaiser member, flu shot clinics are available at most medical offices. You can confirm availability by logging in at KP.org.
The CDC has also issued helpful guidelines and answers to frequently asked questions about the coming flu season, including an explanation of the difference between seasonal flu and COVID-19, who should get a flu vaccine and when, and how and where to get vaccinated. A few highlights:
- The CDC recommends that all people ages six months and older get a yearly flu vaccine.
- September and October are good times to get a flu shot, but if you miss that window, you should still be vaccinated.
- Getting a seasonal flu vaccine does not protect you against COVID-19.
- Because the seasonal flu and COVID-19 share some symptoms, it may be difficult to determine which you have unless you are tested.
- It is possible to have both COVID-19 and the seasonal flu at the same time, and health experts are trying to determine how likely it is this would happen.
For more information on COVID-19, be sure to check out our update here.
No matter which CoolSys medical plan you’re enrolled in or whether or not you’ve met your deductible, flu shots are but one of the services that are considered preventative, and are provided at no charge to you just for being a plan participant. So, protect your health and get your flu shot today!