Medical Care: What’s an Emergency and What’s Urgent?
Knowing where to go if you get sick or hurt can you help get the best medical care and save you time and money — no matter which CoolSys medical plan you have.
So, how do you choose where to go when the unexpected happens? The emergency room (ER) or another options.
An emergency room or 911 is your best option if:
- You’re in a lot of pain or have significant bleeding.
- You think that a bone is broken.
- You are having trouble breathing.
- You have experienced a loss of consciousness.
- You think the problem might get a lot worse if you don’t get help right away.
- You think the problem could kill you.
- There was no warning before your symptoms started.
If the above doesn’t apply, you have lots of great options that save you time and money:
- Use the telemedicine services available on all medical plans. Board-certified doctors are available 24/7 to see you via phone or video using your computer or mobile device. Telemedicine services are best for common health issues like the cold, flu or allergies.
- Anthem’s LiveHealth Online is www.livehealthonline.com or download the app
- Kaiser is www.kp.org/videoappointment or download the Kaiser app
- Call the 24/7 NurseLine. A registered nurse will help you decide what to do.
- Anthem Nurse Line is 800-700-9186
- Kaiser Nurse Line is 800-823-4040
- Go to a retail health clinic if you’re a member of the Anthem plans. These are small offices in drug stores or other large stores (like Target). They are open on weekends, evenings and most holidays. If the clinic can’t help you, they’ll tell you where to go next and you won’t have to pay.
- Go to an urgent care center associated with your health plan. Urgent care is for when you need to be treated right away, but your problem isn’t severe. These centers are typically open late at night and on weekends and holidays. You should go to urgent care for things like an earache, sore throat, rash, sprained ankle, flu or a fever up to 104°F.
If you have question regarding your benefits, contact the CoolSys Benefits Center at 855-676-6857 or go to www.mycoolsysbenefits.com.