Celebrating the Holidays During the Pandemic
2020 has been a heck of a year, but the holidays aren’t canceled.
With the season in full swing and COVID-19 cases on the rise in many areas, you may be struggling with how to make appropriate plans for celebrating. While experts agree that it’s best to avoid travel and large gatherings, there are ways to keep the merry in your holidays while staying safe.
- Give – Doing something for someone else can really help us feel better. Encourage your kids and family to pick a charity that you can give to – like CoolSys Cares.
- Decorate – A festive atmosphere goes a long way to lifting spirits, so deck the halls, trim that tree and hang the mistletoe.
- Get Creative – This year, try something different such as a new recipe, a festive drink or fun activity.
- “Zoomolidays” – It’s not the same as seeing your loved ones in person, but it can help make the occasion more meaningful. So, plan a video call, cook together while far apart, or have a virtual ugly sweater contest.
- Embrace At-Home Traditions – Often it’s the little things like baking cookies, singing carols, or decorating that carry the fondest memories. You don’t need big groups to enjoy these simple holiday traditions.
- Take a Walk – Enjoy the lights in your neighborhood by taking an after-dinner stroll.
- Stay Safe – Being safe is the best gift you can give, so remember masks, social distancing and sanitizing hands.
- Check-in On Loved Ones – The holidays can be hard, especially this year. Call your family, friends and neighbors to let them know you’re thinking of them. Share photos, send gifts or mail a holiday card with a personal message.
- Look Forward to the Future – After months of dealing with COVID, many of us are feeling worn out. That’s only natural. But this pandemic won’t last forever. With the first of the vaccines being administered this week, there’s a bright spot on the horizon and 2021 promises to be a better year.
Remember, celebrating with people in your own household is the safest way to enjoy the season.
If you’re gathering with others outside of your immediate household, be sure to talk with them in advance about quarantining, their individual safety needs and risk tolerances. Not everyone has the same definition of “being careful.”
For more tips and advice for safe holiday festivities, visit the CDC’s website. Here’s wishing our CoolSys team a safe and happy holiday and a healthy 2021.